[Beignet] About Haswell support and more suggestions..

Zou, Nanhai nanhai.zou at intel.com
Wed May 22 21:10:47 PDT 2013

 Hi,

>> I think on obtaining a Haswell laptop.. there is right now support for it? if not how easy it's to support it can we expect soon after launch? also what's the plan for new Intel GPUs coming each year.. i.e. can we expect say Intel 2014 graphics (boradwell?) OpenCL support in beignet at launch? thanks..

We will focus on finish a complete OCL implementation for IVB now.

HSW and BRW support is planned for 2014.

>>  would like to port to Linux some deferred+ (AMD tech) OpenCL kernel I have which requires new MSAA and depth extensions (cl_khr_gl_msaa_sharing cl_khr_depth_images) which are provided in Intel new Windows OpenCL SDK, providing creation of this kind of images from GL textures..
I see progress in trunk is very fast.. so there is a roadmap for implementing this new 1.2 extensions?

We planned to  support 1.2 in 2014. However any patches that can enable those features will be welcome.

>> last thing is Intel Win OpenCL provides interop with Media SDK.. Intel has already a program in place for Media SDK Linux which seems to wrap around VAAPI for encoding/decoding support.. so question is if Intel can provide in some future (in time for public Media SDK for Linux) some samples exposing either VAAPI/beignet interop for encode/decode  or better Media SDK Linux/beignet interop.. i.e. put on par support of Video/compute scenarios similar to Windows OpenCL platform..

Extend OCL to use media fixed functions like Motion Vector Estimation/, interop and other post processing functions could be very useful.

Though we do not have a very detailed plan for that yet.

Thanks

Zou Nanhai