[Beignet] Debian will freeze soon(tm)

Simon Richter Simon.Richter at hogyros.de
Sun Oct 13 11:17:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

I just got the announcement that Debian is going to freeze the next
release soon.

Presently, Beignet 0.2 with ICD support and EGL enabled is in the branch
being frozen (the more recent stuff is on the separate "experimental"
branch). Since that is a rather old state, I wonder whether I should do
another upload before that.

 - EGL support would be dropped (current state is dependent on a Mesa
source tree, which I cannot easily provide during automated builds)
 - ICD support will be included, and the package built against the
current 1.2 headers.
 - Right now, we do not support non-inline functions, which stops most
of the existing apps from working.
 - Nonetheless, we appear to be the only completely free OpenCL
implementation in town, so Beignet resolves lots of licencing issues
with OpenCL software.

Any opinions on what would be the best possible state of Beignet to put
into the stable release?

   Simon