[Beignet] porting beignet to FreeBSD

Joh. Dieterich dieterich.joh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 02:44:00 PST 2014

Dear Rebecca,

thanks a lot for your most helpful response! Comments inlined below.

On Thu Nov 20 09:53:17 2014 GMT+0100, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> Debian have a hybrid they call GNU/kFreeBSD (FreeBSD kernel but GNU C
> library) that can be run in a chroot or jail under FreeBSD:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_FAQ#Q._Can_I_run_Debian_GNU.2FkFreeBSD_in_a_chroot_under_FreeBSD.3F

This may indeed be a viable temporay option, however ideally I'd like to get beignet to run natively as this will also make adoption by other users much easier and I definitely know of a few that would like to have easy to use OpenCL on FreeBSD. Especially since the future of kFreeBSD seems a bit uncertain.

> It includes beignet, but I don't know if anyone has tried to use that on
> it.  To use OpenCL in a chroot, the device (usually /dev/dri/card0)
> needs to be visible from inside, e.g. by bind-mounting /dev/dri.
Yes, this should be no problem, obviously some security protocols are in place for both chroots and jails but these can be configured.

Thanks again!

Johannes