[cairo] Fixing cairo-xcb-surface.c up before 1.0 (was: PATCH: Small syntax error cairo-xcb-surface.c)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 10 14:24:03 PDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:35:44 -0700, Travis Spencer wrote:
> Here is a small patch that fixes a syntax error in
> cairo-xcb-surface.c.

Thanks, I've just commited that.

Which reminds me that I haven't been building/testing with the XCB
backend like I often used to.

I just checked and there are a couple of things that have gone stale
in it:

1) There are three tests that are currently failing:

	clip-operator
	unbounded-operator
	text-antialias-none

    Those first two were recently added and presumably
    cairo-xcb-surface didn't get the same changes that
    cairo-xlib-surface got. (This is a rather perpetual problem with
    the XCB backend since cairo-xcb-surface.c is basically just a
    modified copy of cairo-xlib-surface.c.) The text-antialias-none
    test just returns garbage. Again, copying things over from
    cairo-xlib-surface.c may be straightforward.

2) The cairo-xcb.h and cairo-xcb-xrender.h files have incorrect API in
   them:

	Two functions are missing the equivalent of a Screen*
	parameter:

		cairo_xcb_surface_create_with_xrender_format
		cairo_xcb_surface_create_for_bitmap

	One function is missing:

		cairo_xcb_surface_set_drawable

    The same root cause applies here, that cairo-xcb-surface.c is a
    perpetually rotting copy of cairo-xlib-surface.c, but fixing it up
    should be rather straightforward.

The API problems are quite severe in terms of the upcoming 1.0
release. We're committed to API stability at this point, but the
missing Screen* parameter breaks these functions for multi-head
setups.

I think that the XCB backend is little-used enough that we can get
away with changing this right now, before 1.0. (Or by the same
measure, we could just drop cairo's XCB backend before 1.0).

I would prefer to fix it though, so anyone interested in cairo-xcb
should take a look at updating this stuff as soon as possible,
(ie. this week).