[cairo] Docs

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Mon Aug 15 19:39:04 PDT 2005

Carl Worth wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:57:10 +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
>
>>When i change a .c file in cairo/src and rebuild, cairo/doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
>>doesn't get updated. How do i do that? I have done ./configure --enable-gtk-doc.
>

> I cannot reproduce this problem.
>
> With the latest cairo source code from CVS, I see the following
> behavior.
>
> (1) Touch cairo.c, without changing any documentation
> 	cairo:$ ls -l doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 cworth cworth 22348 Aug 15 14:44 doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
> 	cairo:$ touch src/cairo.c
> 	cairo:$ make
> 	cairo:$ ls -l doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 cworth cworth 22348 Aug 15 14:44 doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
>
> Notice here that cairo.devhelp was unchanged.
>
> (2) Edit cairo.c, changing some documentation
> 	cairo:$ ls -l doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 cworth cworth 22348 Aug 15 14:44 doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
> 	cairo:$ sed -i -e 's/for the context/for the new context/' src/cairo.c
> 	cairo:$ make
> 	Writing cairo.devhelp for book(cairo)
> 	cairo:$ ls -l doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 cworth cworth 22348 Aug 15 14:50 doc/public/html/cairo.devhelp
>
> Here cairo.devhelp definitely changed.
>
> This seems like desired behavior. That is, when the documentation
> strings in the source files change, the cairo.devhelp file is
> rebuilt. Are you finding that that behavior doesn't hold? Or is there
> some different behavior that you actually want?

Hi,
I downloaded a new cvs version and tried it and it works
as above. Sorry for the extra list noise. It was precipitated
by the lack of confirmation on my original post.

Originally, i had problems getting devhelp itself to work.
I was testing it by doing touch src/cairo.c, but then i found
cairo.devhelp wasn't being updated. Despite reading all the
gtk-doc documentation, i assumed the devhelp file was updated
simply in response to changes in time stamps of .c files, rather
than changes in their content. Also, the --enable-gtk-doc option
seems to work properly. So, the previous patches to the
build system can be discarded.