[cairo] Re: Munging header files for export (and other) attributes

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Aug 30 10:47:30 PDT 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:40:08 +0200, Doodle wrote:
> Carl Worth wrote:
> I wouldn't like to be a troll but I don't see why a header file has to
> be so much readable.

A perhaps more significant objection that I have is that I really
think the published interface for cairo should be standard C. I think
it's very wise to avoid putting compiler-specific directives in the
installed header files if we can avoid it.

> I think the first one is better, because there is a slight possibility
> in the second that if the compilation is interrupted, then some header
> files will remain modified, some unmodified.

Yeah, but the first option was pretty broken too as it required
mucking with a bunch of files in a way that made them aware of this
mess.

I really should get in the habit of setting aside late night emails so
I can re-read them in the morning and throw out all the stupid ideas
before sending them out.

Anyway, here's another approach. How about putting the munged header
files in a separate directory, but with the original filenames. Then
new, initial -I option while compiling cairo would let the munged
headers be found.