[cairo] Best strategy for complex screen drawing

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Nov 22 12:25:41 PST 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:13, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Ah, you want a *working* double buffer extension...  Certainly the
> extension is built in the server, and if it doesn't work, people will be
> happy to consider it a bug...  I see DOUBLE-BUFFER in the list of
> extensions in the server.
>
> I have no clue if it really works off hand: ask on the xorg mailing
> list....

Right now very few apps use it, so I guess it works as well as it ever did.
The demo app seems to work though.  The API's a bit overblown, but, welcome
to X.

Internally it's a fairly decent implementation, it just kicks the buffer swap
through the current GC's CopyArea call so it should natively take advantage
of any underlying acceleration.  It could do with some loving though, between
that, Composite, and the mi backing store layer we end up with as many as
three backing copies of the front buffer, which isn't what I'd call optimal.

- ajax