[cairo] Test programs extension

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Dec 6 15:45:32 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 17:27 -0500, Peter Weilbacher (Mozilla) wrote:
> While everybody else is hard at work optimizing algorithms, let me raise
> another more simpleminded question.
>
> The tests in test/Makefile.am are currently listed without any file
> extension. While that works fine on Linux, OS/2 has a problem with it.
> Windows probably, too, but that is obviously using the Makefile.win32
> now which works around that with $addsuffix. Without the file extension
> not all necessary CFLAGS/LDFLAGS get assigned and compilation hence
> doesn't find important things like cairo.h.
>
> The question is now: can $(EXEEXT) be added to all test programs in
> test/Makefile.am? That includes the variables TESTS, NOLOG_TESTS,
> XFAIL_TESTS, and SUPPORT_PROGS. EXEEXT will be empty on Unix, so it
> should not create a problem. Something like
> $(addsuffix $(EXEEXT),$(TESTS)) etc. would be easier but does not survive
> automake...

I don't like the idea of adding $(EXEEXT) to those variables.  And it
breaks XFAIL_TESTS for example.  I'm not sure what exactly is the
problem you are facing.  This this for example help:

$(TESTS:=$(EXEEXT)): $(SUPPORT_PROGS:=$(EXEEXT))

Something along those lines is easier to get in.

I'm going to finally add that driver program called cairo-test so the
way we run tests will be changed and hopefully problems like this won't
occur.   I've got to see how bad linking 100s of .o files into
cairo-test takes...