[cairo] RFC: duplicating, storing and serializing drawing operations

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Dec 27 16:06:22 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 13:47 -0500, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> I think the original request can be satisfied with a new cairo
> backend.
> I'm not sure if this is possible with the current cairo
> implementation,
> if not I recommend cairo should be fixed so this *is* possible,
> whether
> or not such a backend is added to it.
>
> I'll call it a "cairo_recorder". The api would be something like this:

This is exactly the meta-surface, with some added functionality.  There
is a kind of a consensus that we want to expose meta-surface publicly at
some point.  But not before someone does some serious work on it first.

The other feature, to redirect cairo ops to multiple surfaces at the
same time was also suggested by Vlad some months ago.  That's a very
reasonable request too.  It's just that we don't want to expose the
backend API just yet.  Maybe some time later, when we have Firefox 3
using cairo successfully for everything and we know that we are not
going to change the backend API drastically.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759