[cairo] Cairo on older Windows

Jeff Smith whydoubt at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 05:09:50 PST 2006

Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> Cairo is not really the reason for us dropping support for Win95/98/ME

> -- Uniscribe and complex text rendering, broken file handling, as well

> as wanting to drop large chunks of old code that exist only as

> workarounds for Win95/98/ME are all much higher than cairo.

I figured there had to be more to it than just Cairo.  It would be nice if the FF 3.0 articles would mention that.  If Cairo had been the only blocker, and nobody else stepped up, I was considering working on it.

> Firefox 2 is available for Win95/98/ME, and will continue to

> receive security updates until the release of Firefox 4, as per our

> support policy.

> That hardware can be reused to good effect without asking that the user

> run a ten year old OS; recent versions of Linux should run on that

> hardware, and will be able to run Firefox 3 and beyond.

So I have about two years to convince my wife to move from Win98 to Linux on her computer. ;-)
Suffice it to say I don't want to deal with WinXP or Vista.

 -- Jeff Smith