[cairo] Failures on PPC in mask-ctm and mask-surface

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 21 15:51:57 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:09:39 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> There's an odd issue on PPC64 with a couple of the test cases:
>
>   http://crucible.osdl.org/runs/3173/test_output/cairo-test/ppc01/test/

It is an odd issue, yes.

> For some reason, cairo's svg backend isn't generating the image
> properly.  I don't see this issue on the other architectures (x86,
> x86_64, or ia64).

I know it's not what you want to hear, Bryce, but it looks like cairo
is working just fine here, and it's librsvg that is having trouble for
some reason. ;-)

The test I did was to download the .svg file that is the output from
the cairo-svg backend from that run and then run the svg->png
conversion and reference image checking manually using the programs in
the cairo/test directory on my x86 laptop. That is as follows:

	wget http://crucible.osdl.org/runs/3173/test_output/cairo-test/ppc01/test/mask-ctm-svg-argb32-out.svg
	./svg2png mask-ctm-svg-argb32-out.svg mask-ctm-svg-argb32-out.png
	./imagediff mask-ctm-svg-argb32-ref.png	mask-ctm-svg-argb32-out.png 0 0 25 25 > mask-ctm-svg-argb32-diff.png

And that works fine, (no message is printed on stderr by imagediff and
the resulting diff image is a zero-size file).

So something is going wrong in the svg2png conversion for only that
one file of all the files in the test suite, and only on ppc. It's
probably a bug that should be reported against librsvg but I haven't
looked any closer yet.

Meanwhile, another way to avoid all these problems would be to do all
the conversion to png images on a single "known good" machine, (with
all the "just right" versions of ghostscript, librsvg, etc.) rather
than having to replicate those on all machines used to test cairo.

I'm not sure if that would end up being even more trouble to implement
than its worth or not. And besides, even if it's not a cairo bug, the
fact that the crucible testing of cairo seems to have found a bug in
librsvg should still be useful.