[cairo] Cairo 1.4.10 and maemo

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Aug 17 10:02:25 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 08:52 -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:08:13 +0300, "Michael Dominic K." wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking about pushing 1.4.10 forward, but Xan hinted that in
> > this version there might be still some problems with text rendering
> > coming from different threads. Are those concerns still valid with
> > 1.4.10?
>
> I'm not aware of any multi-thread bugs related to text rendering. The
> text performance improvement you're seeing in 1.4.10 compared to 1.4.6
> is primarily due to the solid-surface cache that was introduced in the
> 1.3.8 release.

You mean 1.4.8.

Another source of text rendering speedup in 1.4.x series is of-course
better/correct use of Xrender text API that leads to much less traffic.

> Preliminary versions of that cache, (during 1.3.x development), did
> cause problems with multi-thread text rendering, but we didn't put the
> cache into any released version of cairo until all known problems were
> fixed.

In fact 1.4.8 was shipped with a slightly broken patch too.  But 1.4.10
should be all good.

We are planning to do another stable release in a couple or more weeks,
stay tuned.

> > I did basic testing and couldn't notice any obvious problems.
> > What do you recommend?
>
> I would recommend 1.4.10, (and of course, please let us know if you do
> run into any problems).
>
> Have fun with cairo!
>
> -Carl

Cheers,