[cairo] Reducing CPU usage in News Ticker Implementation

Gerdus van Zyl gerdusvanzyl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 05:05:11 PDT 2007

Sorry gtk automatically gives you a pango enabled context.
use this:
ctx = cairo.Context(surfb)
ctx = pangocairo.CairoContext(ctx)
ctx.show_layout(self.layout)

>BTW, is surf = cr.get_target() necessary? Can't I just use a
>cairo.ImageSurface as a buffer?
Yes you can but as far as i know it would be slower. Create_similar
gives you a surface of the same type as the backend you are using, eg.
X surface while an image surface will be converted to the native
surface type at some point by cairo. Also any cairo commands issued
will be sent to the X server as commands and not as an image.
Thats how i understand it :-)

~Gerdus