[cairo] Integrating the new Pixman - and offer and questions

Dan Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 00:27:02 PDT 2007

On 6/18/07, David Hill <David.Hill at sun.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I would like to help with the effort to integrate the new pixmap into
> Cairo. I have been looking at this for a few days now and I see how much
> there is to be done. I think that with some guidance from the list that
> some of the more troublesome issues can be handled.

Once again, thanks for volunteering to work on this, Dave.

> it seems to me that we need yet another cairo_format_t,
> CAIRO_FORMAT_CUSTOM (unless we really want to remap all of the pixman
> supported formats – ick).

Actually, I'd like to hear what people think about just remapping all
the pixman supported formats and allowing an image surface to be
created with any one of them. I must be missing something here, as it
seems like a simple and effective solution to your problem. We're
really just talking about image surfaces here, right? In that case,
it's just a matter of passing the buck to pixman, with a couple
exceptions that you ran into trying to reinstate R5G6B5, which can be
solved in a general sense, AFAIK.