[cairo] rendering UTF8 text

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 01:52:05 PDT 2007

2007/6/26, Ulrich Mierendorff <ulrich.mierendorff at gmx.net>:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the info, but pango has got much more dependencies:
> libglib,libx11,libxrender,libxft,libfontconfig (I looked into my Ubuntu
> package manager for the pango-dev to show up dependencies). This is
> maybe a problem, especially for MS Win users.

Pango depends on x11, render and xft only if those are compiled in.
Otherwise running GTK+ apps on Windows would indeed be problematic
(which it isn't really).

And the recommended ways of doing "serious" text rendering (ie.
anything but simple labels) are to my understanding:
  - Pango and the cairo backend
  - Using the glyph API directly (and doing so re-implementing much of
what pango already does well)

The show_text() is commonly refferred to as the "toy" API, meaning
that it won't really fullfill anything but the basic needs.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi