[cairo] rendering UTF8 text

Ulrich Mierendorff ulrich.mierendorff at gmx.net
Tue Jun 26 03:08:29 PDT 2007

Hello,

Kalle Vahlman schrieb:
> As far as I understand, it's "toy" API in the sense that it only
> renders RTL (well, I guess LTR too in a sense...) languages (ie. not
> vertical), doesn't do any kind of layouting (wrapping, justifying etc)
> and so on.
I think RTL and LTR could be problem, but I do not know if it is needed,
because my (GUI) library is especially made for games. Vertical text is
a thing I will not support, because in most cases those languages are
using horizontal text in computer mediums too. And it would be very
difficult to support vertical formatting in the Widgets...

> But if your text rendering needs are limited to simple cases where it
> will suffice to just output a string of letters, I guess using
> show_text() will suffice. Not sure how the toy api handles different
> encodings though...
For some reasons I will render text line by line. Automatic wrapping
would be very nice but I also have to support something like text
selection by mouse and if the text is automatically wrapped, I do not
know which letter is at a given mouse position. However, this is not a
problem to be discussed on a cairo mailing list ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich Mierendorff