[cairo] Compile failing in xcb backend

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu May 10 08:27:22 PDT 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007 09:08:17 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Thanks, I've pushed the pair of compilation fixes. I'm intrigued to know
> how well make check is performing on those platforms - I presume xcb
> needs similar fixes as have been applied to the xlib backend.

I haven't checked really recently, but during 1.4.1 I did check that
the xcb backend was passing everything that the xlib backend passes,
(after the fix I made for calling xcb_create_pixmap in 5aaf584b ).

We should probably give the xcb backend the "auto" treatment so that
it gets turned on if the xcb library is available, (actually what
would be nice is to have that for all development versions and only
give it the "experimental" treatment for releases). Then people like
me would end up testing the xcb backend more frequently.

Other things that could be done:

1. Make the xcb backend fully supported, (I think there are still bugs
   with respect to mixed-endian client and server according to
   something Jamey mentioned to me).

2. Share a lot of code between the xcb and xlib backends, (basically
   we've been implementing/fixing things in xlib and then porting
   those to the xcb backend only when we get around to it).

A final step might be to even make the xlib backend sit on top of the
xcb backend, but I'm not sure that Xlib with XCB is prevalent enough
in the wild to make that feasible just yet.