[cairo] cairo for 3D game/vision/graphics/simulation engine - practical questions

max max at iceminds.com
Wed Jul 8 00:23:13 PDT 2009

 Greetings,

 We need to add text support to our 3D graphics application,
 and vector graphics would be an nice option to support too.
 We have a few practical startup/newbie questions before we
 make a final decision to adopt cairo/pango/freetype2, which
 presumably is what we need to render text string images to
 memory that is in fact a texture-map image.

 The engine is multi-platform, meaning linux and windoze now,
 and hopefully MAC someday.

 We ***only*** want to render into [system] memory, unless
 rendering into video memory is possible, which we doubt.
 Our fundamental graphics API is OpenGL v3.10 + GLSL v1.40.

 We want to reduce dependencies to an absolute minimum, and
 hope rendering only into system memory lets us eliminate
 the vast majority of libraries (and/or .h and .c files).

 What IS the absolute minimum set of dependencies possible?
 I would assume that's what we want, since we want nothing
 but memory images (no PNG, no PDF, no SVG, no DirectX,
 no xlib-pixmaps, no nothing (perhaps DIB is "memory"???).

 Thanks in advance.

 bootstrap