[cairo] New OpenGL backend merged

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Jul 23 04:28:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>wrote:

> However, the application may like to choose its own tradeoff between
> speed/quality [though I'd recommend that this should only be made at the
> desktop/system level - you don't want text from two applications looking
> different], we do have a parameter which allows the user to choose the
> level of antialiasing to apply. At the moment, Cairo only dictates the
> results for the default antialias and none -- we can use the other modes
> for implementation specific tradeoffs between speed and quality.

Honestly, for Firefox I think we're far more interested in performance than
really-high-quality antialiasing, so we really want to be able to choose
that tradeoff. Keeping animation smooth is more important than AA.

I would even like to be able to vary the quality level dynamically, so that
for simple or static pages we can use maximum quality, but if an animation
starts on a complex page then we can dynamically lower the quality to
maintain the frame rate.

Rob
53:5-6]