[cairo] freetype, fontconfig configure error

Rajinder Yadav devguy at ymail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:44:39 PDT 2009

I am trying to build from cairo-1.8.8 from tarball source. After I run the configure script I get the following error:

configure: error: Cairo requires at least one native font backend.  Please install FreeType and fontconfig and try again.

I have downloaded both freetype and fontconfig from source and have built both successful, yet the configure script for cairo can't find these font backends.

What can I do to make the config script happy? The system I am building on is CentOS 5.3, I have GNU make v3.81 install.

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav