[cairo] On giving attention to useful new features (was: Re: Request: Separate FreeType and Fontconfig)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Mar 12 09:46:58 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 10:58 -0800, Bobby Salazar wrote:
> I have no idea why these two things haven't been separated yet. After
> all, it's really quite easy to do.
> I would be willing to send a patch for this, but the impression I get
> from this mailing list is that if the patch doesn't fix an urgent bug
> (as opposed to adding useful new features), then it doesn't seem to
> get much attention.

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for pointing out that the fix is easy, and for your willingness
to share.

I'm really saddened that you've gotten the impression that the cairo
community isn't responsive to non-urgent, useful new features. I hope
that we all take that personally, since we're all part of the cairo
community together. And I hope we can turn things around too.

For my part, I've always tried to do my best to lower the
barrier-of-entry for cairo so that everyone can feel free to join in and
take part. So, Bobby, and anyone else, if you have a list of useful
patches that haven't been applied, please let us know! I'm quite happy
to give out commit access to the cairo repository so that you can fix
problems like this yourself.

I hope you have lots of fun with cairo,