[cairo] cairo-script for unit testing [feedback]

Ian Britten britten at caris.com
Wed May 27 06:21:09 PDT 2009

Hi all,
Continuing on my investigation of how I might write unit tests for
my Cairo code, I've been looking into the new cairo-script tool
that is under development on the trunk.

Architecturally, cairo-script seems like it might be a successor
for cairowrap, as it works uses similar techniques.  As such, most
of my feedback about cairowrap is probably still applicable for
cairo-script:
   http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2009-May/017193.html

One question I couldn't resolve is: What is the intended usage of
the cairo-script trace file?  A lot of effort has obviously gone
into making it PostScript-like, but it isn't true PS that GS/etc
can view.  Is there something that can be done with it, or is it
just an extensive text/log file?

As with cairowrap, I don't think that cairo-script will currently
be suitable for writing cross-platform unit tests, due to the
issues described earlier.  Again, this isn't meant as a criticism
of cairo-script, since I was trying to use it for something it
wasn't intended for.  Please just take my comments as possible
suggestions/considerations for future cairo-script work!

Keep up the great work!
Ian