[cairo] cross-compiling on Linux for Windows

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Sun Oct 11 01:05:39 PDT 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:42:03 +0300
Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi> wrote:

>> I wish you can build Win32 DLL of zlib.
>
>Of course, it's a bit sad that people have to try so hard to build
>zlib themselves, when zlib is one of the few open source libraries
>that have an official DLL right on its upstream website... which is
>up-to-date and works fine, zlib hasn't changed in years.

Umm, I guess, one of the reason why the people builds
zlib DLL from source instead of using prebuilt official
zlib DLL binary, would be the library naming convention.

In most Unix systems, built zlib is named as libz.XXX.
And, many configure scripts developed on Unix search
zlib by testing linker flag "-lz". But, official zlib
DLL has different naming convention: there are zdll.exp,
zdll.lib, zlib1.dll. So, configure script looking for
libz.XXX cannot detect them. Is it expected to write
autoconf macro that can find these DLL under different
naming convention?

Regards,
mpsuzuki