[cairo] 1.10 release schedule

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 15:24:43 PST 2010

What needs to happen is that both the Windows and Unix people need to
compromise.

Solution that worked for fltk:

  1. Require the Windows developer to install gmake but nothing else.
Full cygwin must not be required!
  2. Add premade ./configure output files so they don't have to run
configure, with some trick in the makefile so they are included when
compiling on Windows, but not on Unix. These can be hand-edited, there
is no need to get configure to run on Windows.
  3. (I disagree with this). They added the ENTIRE source for libpng and
libjpeg and libtiff to the distribution.

Now the Windows people ALSO need to compromise. Saying you require
somebody else to master your unfamiliar build system because you cannot
master one that is unfamiliar to you is the height of arrogance.

Visual studio is NOT acceptable until they make a method by which a text
file listing the source files in a form also readable by gmake can be
included and that inclusion is not lost if you change the project
settings and resave it. Complain to Microsoft, not us.

And learn to download and install other pieces of software such as
libpng. Or add the necessary code so that png files can be read on
Windows without using libpng (I know the calls exist). Don't complain
and complain endlessly until somebody gets so exasperated that they
include the source code for you.

Bill