[cairo] Sub-pixel Font Filtering in 1.10

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Jan 16 07:20:56 PST 2010

>>>>> "Carl" == Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> writes:

Carl> So after all the disagreement described above, I think we're
Carl> in violent agreement here. I think I'd accept a patch that
Carl> makes cairo accept fontconfig options and pass them through
Carl> to freetype, (without adding cairo API). At that point, the
Carl> technology successfully routes around any opinions I have here.

Having written on these issues in the past, I'll just add that I very
much want to be able to fully control which fonts are instructed or
autofit and which filters are used for each.

But I have no need to control all of that via cairo.  I want to control
it via fontconfig.

The only application-specfic concern the distinction between UI and
proof text.  (Proof text would include things like the document area
of PDF viewers, print previews and the like.)  The former requires
optimal legibility whereas the latter requires optimal and freely
scalable conformance to ink on paper.

Passing the fontconfig settings through to freetype is in general fine.
A single flag to distinguish between UI and proof elements might be
useful, but I suspect most apps already configure freetype directly
for proof renderings.

-JimC