[cairo] Compiling for Cairo development

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun May 23 22:09:59 PDT 2010

Any recommendations for how to compile Cairo when I want to work on
Cairo itself? This is on Ubuntu 10.04.

What I would like to do is be able to modify my git checkout of Cairo
and test the results.

Right now I have to "sudo make install" after compiling any changes. I
would prefer not to do this as I don't want to risk messing up other
programs that use Cairo.

I believe I can avoid this for Cairo itself by building my test programs
linked directly to cairo/src/.libs and pixman/pixman/.libs. However
changes to pixman look a lot more risky. Cairo refuses to compile unless
pixman is installed.

It would seem that Cairo developers must be doing this already, are
there any recommended procedures?

Also the instructions for compiling need to point out that pixman must
be done first, and pixman needs to point out that autogen.sh must be run
if you check out from git. I don't think a newbie could ever get past
this to a compiled version of Cairo.