[cairo] Mesh gradients

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Fri Nov 19 05:50:17 PST 2010

On 19/11/10 23:01, Tavmjong Bah wrote:

> This is quite timely. The SVG working group has begun to look at the
> possibility of adding mesh gradients (and/or other advance gradients) to
> the standard. Support for mesh gradients has been a much asked for
> feature by Inkscape users. Having support in Cairo would help the cause.

The mesh gradients feature is planned for 1.12. We are interested in any
feedback on the proposed API and implementation.

 > I prepared a quick web page to start the SVG working group discussion:
 >
 > 	http://tavmjong.free.fr/SVG/MESH/Mesh.html

You web page seems to suggest that Inkscape is only interested in Coons
patches. I would recommended also considering Tensor-product patches as
it allows importing PDF files containing Type 7 gradients into Inkscape.

It may be helpful to include some images of mesh gradients with
transparency on your webpage.

I recommend replacing your link to the PLRM with the latest PDF
specification [1]. The description of mesh gradients in PLRM 3rd ed. has
some bugs [2].

[1]
http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf
[2] http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/PSerrata.txt