[Clipart] clipart.freedesktop.org and OpenOffice.org

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Apr 8 17:56:40 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > some contribs.  So why don't we just drop the format restriction and
> > permit either SVG or WMF as the contributor wishes?
>
> Can some tools make a perfect WMF from a SVG and visa versa?

I don't know.  I once used a wmf2svg tool on some wmf clipart I found
but the results were unusable because it generated tons of extraneous
svg entitities.  There might be better wmf2svg tools out there though.

Going the other direction, i.e. svg2wmf, I have no experience in.

It would be valuable for someone to investigate this, as I suspect that
wmf/svg conversion will be this project's core issue.  It would be
excellent for it to be our strength rather than our weakness.

> If so, then, yes, we can accept either and then automate a SVG tarball
> release and a tarball of WMFs too.
>
> And I am sure that some small PNGs can be automated too for a webpage to
> show you what you are getting.

Yes, in fact there are several ways to handle this.  I know someone who
made a mod_rsvg APache module that allows on-the-fly, scalable svg->png.
If we have root access to the web server or a kindly web admin, that
might be worth exploring.  Inkscape (and Sodipodi) has a commandline
option for doing svg->png.  I believe there are probably also some
librsvg-based svg->png generators.  IIRC, ImageMagick also has support
for SVG, although I don't know if it's up to snuff; IM definitely has
WMF support, and while I haven't used it, I expect it's very good.

Sodipodi's flag clipart has a php script that I *think* creates PNG
thumbnails, so that may be an option for something we could reuse.  I'm
not sure how it works though.