[Clipart] clipart.freedesktop.org and OpenOffice.org

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Apr 8 18:00:48 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Jonathan Phillips wrote:
> I think that a subordinate interest for this project too should be to
> develop and/or seek-out conversion scripts between file formats.
>
> Inkscape and SodiPodi can both convert from SVG to PNG and can run
> headless from the commandline to do this.
>
> To be honest though, WMF is not a dominant file format like an industry
> standard like TIF or JPG.

Well, in the sense that DOC is a defacto standard for word processing,
similarly WMF is kind of a defacto standard for clipart.  SVG is kinda
like where PNG was 5 years ago - yes it's an open standard supported by
the industry, but it's certainly not universally supported yet.  Heck,
even a lot of apps that support SVG don't support 100% of the standard
SVG features yet.