[Clipart] Basic Principles

David Illsley david at illsley.org
Fri Apr 9 03:33:11 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Is there a list of basic principles somewhere?
If so, can someone point me at it and ignore the rest of this mail.
Otherwise...

I've written out some of mine. Probably all are controvertial to some
people so to avoid prolonged discussions every time someone new happens
along I think a list like the one below with a set of explanations of
why would be helpful.

I don't know whether people would prefer to discuss something like this
by e-mail, wiki or irc?

Basic set of assumptions:

1. For the moment SVG should be the only format accepted as the base
format to keep things simple.

2. There is no fundamental objection to the project providing bitmap
versions of SVG images if there are requests and help to do this.

3. There is no fundamental objection to the project providing non-svg
vector format versions of SVG images if there are requests and help to
do this.

4. In order to allow the widest useage of the images the only
acceptable "license" is release to the public domain.

5. To simplify submissions for this project, submissions must be
creative commons "Public Domain Dedicated"

6. The project will use XMP to mark all downloadable SVG files with
appropriate licensing information (See creativecommons.org)

7. All files will be named according to an as yet to be decided method

8. The method should take into account that file contents should be
easily recogniosable from the name.

9. The project aims to have rich metadata for all of its files

David