[Clipart] Public Domain Licensing

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 12 10:58:18 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I can see makers of proprietary software group taking the clipart and
> repackaging it, removing the authors names and distributing it with their
> own product.  This is exactly what public domain allows, there can be no

I don't see anything wrong with that. If I make my images puiblic domain,
then I'd hope that others use it.

If someone wants to pay for it instead of freely getting it, that is fine
too.

> I dont plan on asking this question again, but are we absolutely sure that
> 'Public Domain' is the one and only suitable choice?

A BSD license is fine for me, but I don't need any "disclaimer" and I
assume the copyright can be placed in some SVG comments. I don't care if
what BSD license is used.

Nevertheless, public domain sure is easier.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/