[Clipart] Contributing images.

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Fri Apr 16 14:12:04 PDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Okay, how are we organizing the images?  Is each contributor going to get a
> sepparate directory?  That might be a problem if we get many contributors
> that submit just one or two images.
>
> I was just thinking that I'd like to draw an SVG version of the hacker
> emblem and add it to the "symbols" directory (I don't think we have one yet).
>
> I wonder how I would go about submitting just the one image.

What I was figuring was that prolific contributors could have their own
packages (like Nicu's), but for the one-offs we could put them in more
general topic-oriented packages (like the flags).  When the contributor
has enough stuff and feels up to it, they could break their package out
into topic-oriented packages (like John Cliff's signs).

For stuff that doesn't fit into any of these categories, I set up an
'open_collection' package, where one-off's (like my apple or your hacker
symbol) can be stored until there's enough similar items to warrant
creating a topic package, or until you've done enough stuff to want to
manage your own package.

> As an aside: Does anyone know of a good vector graphics program I can use
> under Solaris that will produce SVG images?  It looks like Inkscape requires
> the Gnome desktop, and I don't have that.

It actually does not require the Gnome desktop, although it does use
several of the Gnome libraries like Pango, Gtk+, libart, gtkmm, etc. but
these are relatively low level.  We have to be careful to keep it
portable to Win32 and OSX.

Someone ported version 0.36 to Sparc/Debian.  I don't know if anyone's
compiled it on Solaris - if so, they've not reported it.  If you do give
it a shot, you can report problems (or successes) on this wiki page:

    http://www.inkscape.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CompilingInkscape

There are some other SVG editors.  I don't know if they work on Solaris
but here's a list of options you could try:

    http://www.inkscape.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SimilarApplications