[Clipart] Sourceforge Issue

Sigmascape1 at cs.com Sigmascape1 at cs.com
Mon Apr 19 12:46:28 PDT 2004

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Jonathan Phillips wrote:

>> > Implementing something like BugZilla would be very difficult.  Is there any
>> > reason not to use whatevr SF provides?
>>
>> Maybe there are other alternatives as well? SF.net is flaky. Maybe it is
>> time to jump into other endeavours. Plus, our repository is going to be
>> HUGE in size!
>
>Also, we had put in a project request to Sourceforge for this project at
>the outset, and it was not accepted because it was too different from a
>software project for them.
>
>Bryce

I've had similar issues with SF. SF is really great, but they don't like content-based projects. As mentioned earlier, the bandwidth can become a big problem for them. It's too bad though. The collaborative tools associated with SF would be great for this project and similar projects. Isn't there a way to hook up with some university? I've seen so many redundant, goofy stuff of various university sites. It seems like such a wonderful, open concept as this would be a great match for a university or a series of universities.

Last week, I wrote this list about finding a free place to deposit my content. It's hard. Maybe a letter-writing effort can be developed, aimed at companies that would benefit directly from a repository of open, liberally licensed content... maybe a Lindows (linspire), Mandrake, Novell/SuSE. There are lots of commercial Linux distributions that could use this sort of common resource. Possibly, all of these companies and more could set-up something for free clipart/content.

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston