[Clipart] logos

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 20 15:06:18 PDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Jonathan Phillips wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:43:19 -0700
> From: Jonathan Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Cc: Neil Stuber <nstuber at ucsd.edu>
> Subject: [Clipart] logos
>
> Hello,
>
> I started messing around with the logotype neil stuber made and was
> trying to think of a way to integrate documents/stacks of images and/or
> a frame to insinuate art. I think for this project a logotype is more
> fitting than just a logo. I made several black only logotypes.
>
> http://openclipart.org/incoming/2004/04/contents/ocap-jon-01.svg
>
> I don't have much time right now to work on this, but thought it might
> inspire some work on the logo new directions.
>
> Is the project the Open Clip Art Project (OCAP), or the Open Clip Art
> (OCA). I think I lean towards OCAP because of memorability.

I would strongly advise against using an acronym because acronyms are
opaque to people not already familiar with the project and as such have a
tendecy to exclude people.  An acronyms will never be as memorable as a
snappy two (possibly three) word phrase.  The acronym will also be
language specific.  I was also thinking for the logo that ideally if you
can choose some sort of simple generic object that implies a collection of
some kind (like a group of ants, a basket of mixed fruit, a flock of birds
et cetera...)

Two words "Open Clipart", need no abbreviation.
Again I urge you to avoid acronyms.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

PS other work will very likely drag me away from this list very soon,
possibly permanently but I may be able to contribute art later.