[Clipart] Metadata Discussion

Richard Worth richard at theworths.org
Tue Apr 27 23:23:38 PDT 2004

Jonathan Phillips wrote:

>Agree. Your suggestions are brilliant and well researched.

Thank you.

>I do agree that our storage format should be SVG, but I guess we could
>take entries in WMF and possibly EPS, PS, AI/PDF. I wonder if by
>converting to a common format like SVG, we will maintain focus of the
>project and also encourage non-linux designers to submit. I was talking
>to my design friends and they don't even know what SVG is.

Good point. As long as it's vector-based it can be converted to SVG, so
I don't think it will be a problem. This project will turn a lot of
people on to the format.

>I think as long as we offer files as SVG and then convert to and from
>readily, we will cover the bases. I think we should be focused and not
>take bitmap files (unless they are textures inside a vector).

Yes, and speaking of which: I just updated the MetadataDiscussion Wiki
page listed below to include information on reading/writing RDF Metadata
in png files. This will become an important issue as we start
autogenerating bitmap files from SVGs. We don't want to lose metadata.

- Richard