[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.05

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Aug 5 05:10:37 PDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:54:42 +0300
> From: Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.05
>
> Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Hmmm...   thinking out loud here...
> >
> > Given that we're a clipart project, I don't know that it's sensible to
> > make clipart a toplevel category.  How about lumping patterns and
> > gradients under a toplevel category such as reusable_parts or
> > something.  (There could be gradient and pattern categories inside
> > there, and possibly other reusable parts, anything less than an entire
> > piece of clipart.  e.g., templates intended to be used when creating a
> > piece of clipart would belong here.)
>
> i'm thinking more as a separate repository. i suspect is not true for us
> to claim 700+ clipart images when 100+ of them are not really clipart
> (like gradients)

Same goes for for the fact that many of the files are the same object in
different colours.
We should be very conservative and round down when saying how large the
collection, we need to manage expectations and make sure people dont get
their hopes up.  If we say OpenClipArt.org we say a release is a massive
improvement and users think it is only a small improvement we actually
hurt the project.

I've started naming my patterns in such a way as to make it easier to
identify unique designs but sometime the choice of colour is itself the
pattern, rather than the underlying shapes of the base pattern (if that is
not entirely clear you'll see what I mean when I have time to submit the
files).

I'm not sure what you mean by seperate repository but I'm definately not
starting a seperate project.  Some of my gradients fit nicely into the
Food (Fruit and Veg) category and might prove just as useful as any other
clipart for those who really like to tweek rather than use things as
given.  I read a good article recently about how to take flat clipart and
liven it up using gradients and blending making it look almost 3-D.

I prefer to take a broader definition of clipart and think in terms of all
kinds of stock images patterns and basic compositions and templates.  As
this project is related to Inkscape I cannot help thinking of it as a
place to gather various resources that would be useful to Inkscape but
that do not really belong in Inkscape CVS.  So long as things are well
labelled they can be seperated out and recategorised later reasonably
easily.  I hope you will reconsider your thinking of clipart as being
limited to very simple shapes and objects.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/