[Clipart] Canceling Dec Clipart Release

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Dec 1 15:24:20 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:
> How about we give them until the end of the day FRIDAY to get the site
> online, and if it is not online then we make a decision for alternate
> hosting.

Sounds good.  I'm going to be out of town Thurs and Fri but will be
around this weekend and can help then.

> In relationship to this, please think of solutions for our project to
> get it off life-support and into full-life mode.
>
> We need to consider options for:
>
> 1.) Alternate Hosting - This has more to do with which service. We
> require lots of space and a good amount of bandwidth. Our requierements
> for hosting are only going to scale (and very quickly).

Actually our space and bandwidth needs are not huge compared with
today's capabilities, but you're right they coudl scale.  More
importantly is our need for being able to easily upgrade and add new
scripts and tools.

> 2.) Mirroring Strategies - How can we mirror the entire project on
> multiple servers, or are we only going to mirror the repository and keep
> all of our user management files and our main cvs/svn repository
> centralized? Any thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with this?
> How does Sourceforge accomplish this?
>
> I think a good mirroring stategy will be the best solution as we can
> maintain multiple relationships and also have redundancy if a service
> goes off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this properly?

> Overall, I'm very dissapointed with fd.o over the last 2 weeks since
> their server went down. Up to that point fd.o's service was great; no
> stress and very responsive to addition of services.

Agreed.

> Lets please discuss the two points I mentioned above and come up with a
> good strategy.

Well, one approach I've been thinking of is to identify a 'master'
server where we conduct all document commits, etc.

We rsync the browsable documents, website, etc. from the master server
to one or more mirrors.

New uploads would need to be done on the master server for now.  Some
day we can set it up such that users can upload files to the mirror and
have them propagated to the central server.  This will be particularly
handy for folks in other countries, so they get a quick site to browse
and upload to (in their own language), and the clipart gets propagated
back to the server and out to all the mirrors in a reasonably short
amount of time.