[Clipart] Canceling Dec Clipart Release

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Dec 7 09:45:32 PST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
> > Yeah, I think the prefab solutions like Savannah, Sourceforge and
> > OSDN are too restrictive for our needs. Also, they do not have
> > enough storage capacity for our needs. I still think that the fd.o
> > style setup is preferable,
>
> This makes sense to me.  What we have at FDO is very flexible; I don't
> think we should throw that away over a couple of outages.

Hmm, I'd agree if the clipart project home directory had been restored
within a week or so, but we're still pending...

> > but I think a mirror system with admin access centralized on one
> > server is the best solution.
>
> Mirrors would help.  We'd still have bottlenecks in getting work done
> any time there's a problem on the server, but that seems to me like
> something we ought to be able to overcome.  Ideally, people ought to
> be able to continue working with the server down and then commit when
> it comes back up.  Come to think of it, the work I need to do on the
> upload script is something I could be doing with the server down, and
> the other major thing I need to do (check out Bryce's DMS stuff) isn't
> really stopped either, because that's hosted on the CPAN, which is
> fine.  I've been letting myself use the down server as an excuse to
> let OCAL work slide, but it needn't have, really -- at least, not so
> entirely.

Yeah, I've still been working on dms on the side, although between the
Inkscape release, christmas prep, and a bit of vacationing it's been
pretty slow.

However, Enrico Zini and I have been shooting emails back and forth.
He's working on a very similar document system, and we're investigating
if we can combine forces in some fashion.  It appears we basically have
the same architecture and design in mind, but have been working on
different ends - I've been focusing on the communications protocol side,
while he's been working more on other areas like the interface.  I don't
know to what degree we'll be merging efforts, but at the least hopefully
we can coordinate and share some of the backend pieces.

We're going to be using my old 'docsys' mailing list for discussing
plans and such.  Anyone else that'd like to join is welcome to: