[Clipart] OCAL identified by IBM as resource for Linux migrations

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Dec 28 00:29:22 PST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > One of the reasons I myself put time into the project was because I
> > wanted to be able to use Inkscape to produce Christmas cards, yet had no
> > artistic talent.  This was also the motivation for doing the theme-based
> > releases.  Sadly, due to the freedesktop.org compromise and my inability
> > to get it back up and running quickly, the outage meant we could not
> > collect Christmas clipart, so once again I had to resort to commercial
> > bought Christmas cards this year.
>
> i made about a month ago some (pretty lame) Christmas cards for
> OpenOffice.org.usage: http://ooo.nicubunu.ro/winter/cards.html
> to the end, nobody appeared interested and the cards were used by nobody.
>
> the images used are either already included in OCAL or intended for
> inclusion but not yet included because of the server outage.

Excellent, this is a good start.  Can you send me the SVG's?  Those will
be good starting points.  The graphics look good too - the holly, snow
flake, and bells look really nice.

> > For Christmas 2005, I want to be able to create all my own Christmas
> > cards, with personalized phrasings of my own choosing, printed with Free
> > art, and printed on good paper.  I have no idea how to do this, and in
> > fact I don't even have a color printer, but I figure I've got a year to
> > do it.
>
> being a subscriber to the Inkscape lists i'm aware that you already know
> that for the goal to produce high-quality greetings cards with Inkscape
> is one important step needed: printing in Inkscape, we already have
> everything else.

Yes, agreed.  In this case, getting the art is minor compared to
figuring out how to print them in a way that gives good results without
costing a fortune.

The other part that I think will be key is to have meaningful text to go
along with them.  I wonder if there's much Public Domain holiday poetry
out there?  ;-)