[Clipart] OCAL identified by IBM as resource for Linux migrations

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Dec 28 14:58:53 PST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Jose Hevia wrote:
>   I think this is exactly the reason it could be very good. People have
> not a lot of time to create complete font collections, but if it's easy
> enough ,a lot of people could join just to make one or two letters each
> own simply with inks.
>   Someone could improve bad ones if it uses a open license.
>   I saw something at Levien.com (creator of Gill that evolved to->
> sodipodi->Inkscape) he is developing a nice font editor based on Cornu
> Spirals, and he wants this technology included into inkscape.

Wow, did he actually say he wanted it in _inkscape_?  I see on his
gfonted page that he'd like to see it included in Gill, but the date on
the comment was 1999, so I'm guessing he stopped work on it.  Do you
happen to have a more current link?

If anyone is working on an SVG font editor, I think room could easily be
made for it in Inkscape.

> > You could instead render the text at a large size and then trace
> > it with potrace (better than AutoTrace for this sort of thing).
> > This would produce paths that are different from those of the font
> > file, but I'm not sure this is enough to avoid the copyright.
>
>   You could instead buy an ancient book ,scan it and produce paths (like
> adobe folks did before digitally making fonts). Typography is an old art.

Good idea.  :-)