[Clipart] OCAL identified by IBM as resource for Linux migrations

Jose Hevia 100026838 at alumnos.uc3m.es
Tue Dec 28 15:17:07 PST 2004

> Wow, did he actually say he wanted it in _inkscape_?  I see on his
> gfonted page that he'd like to see it included in Gill, but the date on
> the comment was 1999, so I'm guessing he stopped work on it.  Do you
> happen to have a more current link?
>
> If anyone is working on an SVG font editor, I think room could easily be
> made for it in Inkscape.
>
>From http://www.advogato.org/person/raph/

 16 Nov 2004  »

    Coins and stamps

    Thanks to everyone who sent Alan coins, stamps, and emails in
response to my begging. He really appreciates it!

    Spiro

    I've tentatively chosen a name for my curve editor: Spiro. I posted
a "code escape" here and on the Typophile forums. So far, I've gotten
little or no response from my posting here, but lots of people checking
it out and sending feedback on the Typophile board. Interestingly, many
of the commenters are encouraging me to patent the idea and/or otherwise
try to make money off it.

    I'll have a new code snapshot soon. In the meantime I've been
tracing the miniscules from 72pt metal Centaur (see screenshot). There's
nothing like trying to use the thing for real to point out what needs
improving :)

    There's no rush, as I'm still tweaking the core algorithms, but
obviously this is something that should go into other free software
applications, most especially Inkscape. What I'm most inclined to do is
release all the core code as GPL, package up nice Win32 and MacOS
versions with refined GUI's (especially cut'n'paste with the dominant
apps on those platforms) as commercial apps, and also try to license the
code for inclusion in proprietary apps. We'll see how all that plays out.

->I'd been reading his diary for long
 17 Oct 2004  »
[...]If I go this route, I'll need to factor the code into UI dependent
and UI independent parts. That's probably good discipline in any case,
especially if I'm hoping for the code to be adapted into other apps that
need curve editing (Gimp paths, inkscape, etc.).[...]
                                              Jose Hevia