[Clipart] upload_svg.cgi

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sat Jul 17 21:50:24 PDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> As best I understand it, what you want to do is get the latest version
> first (do a cvs update) and make your changes to the latest version.
> Then when you're done making changes you do another cvs update, which
> checks to see if anyone else has been making changes at the same time
> you were, and merges them.  (Occasionally this requires manual
> intervention, if your changes were to the same lines as theirs or very
> close to it.)  Then you check in.  (Someone with real experience with
> CVS can feel free to clarify this better.  Everything I know about CVS
> is vicarious.)

That's essentially correct.  If you forget to cvs update and there are
already-committed changes, CVS will let you know via an error message.

> In this case, though, as near as I can determine, you don't seem to
> have made any changes, or your changes didn't get committed somehow.
> The version I'm getting from CVS now is apparently unchanged from what
> I checked in earlier.  What changes were you trying to make?  If you
> can make a diff of your changes against the version you had when you
> started changing it, I can probably merge your changes with mine.

Sometimes CVS will indicate that it is checking in changes to a file,
because it has been touched, or perhaps you edited it but then removed
your edits (thus no change except the timestamp).  In these cases it can
appear to the committer that the file is being committed but in reality
no commit occurs.