[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Wed Jun 9 22:41:19 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>>   * Replace niku's items with the newer ones.  Perhaps consider leaving
>>>     niku's stuff out of this package, if he'll be providing his own,
>>>     if that's easier for him.

i have no preference for a separate package (or separate packages), i
need only an easy way to add images in the packages already existing on
the website.

>>It would be nice if our project offered a comprehensive download with all
>>clipart. That way it would be easy to go to one place and download only
>>one tarball.

or just only part of a tarball

[...]
> The issue for me, though, is maintenance.  For example, since niku has
> been continuing development of his work and made improvements, now I'm
> faced with fishing out his items from the current package and replacing
> them with the new ones, perhaps including recategorizing or re-adding
> the XMP data.  And Niku is a best case example, because he works closely
> with us, and I'm sure will be quite willing to help figure out a good
> solution.  For other clipart, though, we may not have any contact with
> the maintaners at all, so would need to do major maintenance revision
> work each time they release a new package of their work.

we need an easy interface, probably a web interface for maintaining
(definitely not CVS). this way some contributors (authors, regular users
etc.) can gain the "maintainer" status and do the job.

i think is right to start this now, when the gallery is not yet huge and
is manageable. when it will be, say, 10 times bigger, also our effort
will be bigger

--
nicu