[Clipart] Clip Art & OpenOffice

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue May 11 16:10:47 PDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Thats cool BRYCE, we really need to push upstream to get OO.o to support
> SVG, but RWORTH said he had the svg2png working, so hopefully we can get
> that implemented to build bitmap files on the fly.

Yup, I mentioned svg2png to the director, and he was pretty interested
to hear about that.  I definitely get the sense though that what we need
to push for is to get better SVG support in the open source apps.

FWIW, he ended up exporting the computer symbol from Dia as PNG and
importing that to Open Office, since he was in a bit of a hurry.

> That is great about showing the project to folks at OSDL. I wish I could
> get some sponsorship for OSCON, and then we could host a Bird of a
> feather session for the project.
>
> Any sponsorship out there?

OSDL hasn't been doing sponsorship for OSS developers, and only
occasionally does so for employees, so 'fraid not.  Maybe this project
could take donations for the purpose of assisting people in attending
things like this.  I think for purposes of getting info about clip art
to developers as well as commercial organizations, being able to talk in
person to them will have far more traction than anything we could do
online, so I'd rank it pretty high for us to get people to the various
conventions.

Oh, we also could really use some sort of counter to show how much clip
art is available from the project.  I think that'd have a big impact on
people's decision to give it a try.