[Clipart] More discussion about Delineate/Autotrace images

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Oct 1 18:25:57 PDT 2004

"Jon Phillips" <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> In adobe streamline (the equivalent), it seems that it interpolates
> the number of colors and reduces them to a user-defined number, such
> as 64, 32, 8, etc. So, to limit the colors, or threshold (I'm not
> sure what it is called in GdkPixBux).
>
> The general idea is to simplify the image prior to vectorizing.

I don't think sacrificing colors is really the way to go.  There's an
incredible amount of waste in terms of needless control points that
could be trimmed with no impact on the visual effect or detail.

In other words, autotrace produces a neat visual effect, but the
resulting SVG is terribly horribly inefficient.