[Clipart] Re: Open Clip Art Library wikispam

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Mon Oct 25 11:24:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Why have this blacklist with its continuing problems? Instead just deny
> everyone and have a whitelist and/or passwords.

We originally had a wiki that required passwords, but people found that
to be inconvenient.  There was also administrative overhead to having to
set up new accounts, etc.

Note that we've seen at least two spammers that signed up for accounts,
so requiring accounts may only reduce spam, not eliminate it.

Blacklisting may work if there are a finite number of wiki spammers.  I
did not expect that the spam would go away immediately, but in theory it
should reduce in time.  If we do not see reduction within a few weeks
and the spam-killing overhead remains high, then yes, we may have to
change policy even if that inconveniences people.

> How many people actually make modifications to the wiki?

That's not really the right question.  This wiki is definitely useful
and has been active.  In my experience placing passwords on a wiki
ALWAYS has a cost in reducing activity, so we have to weigh the loss of
that activity against the work required to combat spam.  I would prefer
to not see the spammers win, and am willing to keep putting in admin
time so we don't lose what we've got, but if we can't win, then I'm
definitely open to other ideas.