[Clipart] OpenClipArt.org Logos and the Gnome HIG?

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Thu Sep 2 19:50:14 PDT 2004

Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> More importantly this competition specifically asked for Logos and
> Logotypes.  The project brand OpenClipArt.org will certainly not
> need to be translated although some might be tempted to try and
> translate "Open Clip Art Library" I wouldn't recommend it.

If we get to the point of translating the website, then I imagine we
would translate with it any text that is used with the logo, except
obviously for the domain name.  But while several of the submissions
*have* text, it is in most cases not a core part of the logo itself;
the text is placed beside the logo, below it, or whatever, to show how
the logo could be used on the website, but the graphical element is
the logo itself.  There are a couple of exceptions to this,
submissions that are actually based on text, but that's different from
merely including text alongside a graphical logo; in the latter case,
the text is suplementary to, rather than being the substance of, the
actual logo itself.