[Clipart] And the Winner is... + Need Independent Verification

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Sep 3 23:08:52 PDT 2004

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> Could someone please verify my counting. I'm attaching my file which
> compares the 13 votes received on the Clip Art mailing list. Remember,
> we decided to use the Instant Runoff system as described here:
>
> http://www.gpde.org/Issues/Election_Reform/Instant_runoff_voting.htm
>

> The winner by my vote is:
>
> Andreas Nilssons
> http://openclipart.org/clipart//OCALLogos/open_clip_art_library_logo_01.svg
> which is the same as ocallogo.svg
>
> The one complaint and something which needs to be reworked, which I can
> take on is the text next to the graphic.

For the small icon-sized versions, we don't need the text.  Here is a
zipfile containing PNGs at 16, 32, 48, and 64 pixels, and an ICO that
contains 16, 32, and 48 pixel versions:
http://openclipart.org/incoming/open_clip_art_library_logo_contest_winner_01.zip

The 16-pixel versions do not have the shadow.  There are also SVG
intermediate forms, which are nicely square and so could be used if
SVG icons are wanted.  (Do any current GUIs employ SVG icons
directly?)

The original version with the text (reworked as desired) can be used
to generate larger images for use on the website, but I'll let someone
else handle that end of things, since reworking the text (beyond
merely removing it) is more than I want to undertake really.

> Please, one other person check my work

Based on the thirteen voters in your votes.txt, here is what I get:

Round 1, in order (except for exact URI duplicates):
 2 open_clip_art_library_logo_01.svg
 1 ocallogo.svg
 2 open_clipart_library_proposal_02_gallery_01.png
 1 open_clip_art_logo_06.svg
 1 open_clip_art_logo_09.svg
 1 open_clipart_library_proposal_01_gallery_01.svg
 1 open_clip_art_logo_07.svg
 1 ocal_logo_01_01.svg (1 assumed)
 1 open_clip_art_logo_08.svg
 1 open_clip_art_logo_10.svg
 1 ocal_logo_0.5_01.svg

Combining ones that are obviously very similar...
ocallogo.svg is extremely similar to open_clip_art_library_logo_01.svg
open_clip_art_logo_07.svg is very similar to open_clip_art_logo_06.svg
  and also open_clip_art_logo_10.svg
open_clip_art_logo_09.svg is similar to open_clip_art_logo_08.png

Round 1 grouped by similarity:

3 for Nilsson's yellow orange and red snapshots:
  2 open_clip_art_library_logo_01.svg
  1 ocallogo.svg

2 for Fitzsimon's open window:
  2 open_clipart_library_proposal_02_gallery_01.png

3 for Phillips' scissors:
  1 open_clip_art_logo_06.svg
  1 open_clip_art_logo_07.svg
  1 open_clip_art_logo_10.svg

2 for Stuber's open box:
 1 open_clip_art_logo_09.svg
 1 open_clip_art_logo_08.svg

1 each for three others:
 1 open_clipart_library_proposal_01_gallery_01.svg
 1 ocal_logo_01_01.svg (1 assumed)
 1 ocal_logo_0.5_01.svg

So for round two, we're down to the four that got multiple votes:
Nilsson's snapshots, Fitzsimon's window, Phillips' scissors, or
Stuber's box.  Based on that...

Vote  1 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, first choice.
Vote  2 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, first choice.
Vote  3 goes for Fitzsimon's window, first choice.
Vote  4 goes for Phillips' scissors, first choice.
Vote  5 goes for Stuber's box, first choice.
Vote  6 goes for Fitzsimon's window, first choice.
Vote  7 does not vote for any of those (but, I like several of them...)
Vote  8 goes for Phillips' scissors, first choice.
Vote  9 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, second choice.
Vote 10 goes for Stuber's box, first choice.
Vote 11 goes for Phillips' scissors, first choice.
Vote 12 does not vote for any of those.
Vote 13 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, first choice.

So the only one that picks up a vote here is Nilsson, who picks up
vote 9 on second choice.

That makes it...
  4 votes for Nilsson's snapshots
  2 votes for Fitzsimon's window
  3 votes for Phillips' scissors
  2 votes for Stuber's box.

The two-vote choices don't make the cut, so it's between Nilsson's
snapshots and Phillips' scissors...

Vote  1 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, first choice.
Vote  2 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, first choice.
Vote  3 doesn't vote for either of those.
Vote  4 goes for Phillips' scissors, first choice.
Vote  5 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, second choice
Vote  6 doesn't vote for either of those.
Vote  7 bowed out in the previous round.
Vote  8 goes for Phillips' scissors, first choice.
Vote  9 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, second choice.
Vote 10 goes for Phillips' scissors, second choice.
Vote 11 goes for Phillips' scissors, first choice.
Vote 12 bowed out in the previous round.
Vote 13 goes for Nilsson's snapshots, first choice.

So Nilsson's box picks up vote 5 on second choice, and Phillips'
scissors pick up vote 10 on the second choice.  As near as I can tell,
that brings us to the same conclusion you already reached:

  5 votes for Nilsson's snapshots
  4 votes for Phillips' scissors

It should be noted that several of the "didn't vote for those" votes
were voting for other images that didn't make the cut in the same
round, so this was definitely a close thing.  One person voting for
the same images in a different order could have tipped the scales.

But I'm satisfied with the winning image, despite that I didn't
personally vote for it.  It seems to come out pretty decent even at
rather small sizes:
http://openclipart.org/incoming/open_clip_art_library_logo_contest_winner_01.zip

It'll look okay in greyscale too.  And as I commented in another
thread, it reminds me of a handful of Polaroids, so it should have
pretty good recognition value.  It's a good choice.