[Clipart] new site design in progress

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Sep 8 11:54:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:45:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress
>
> My suggestions:
>
> I think that any project should have a quick explanation of what the
> project provides in the first page (shown when first brought up). I really
> dislike visiting a homepage and then have to click on other links to find
> out what the project is.
>
> (The current webpage has the "goal" paragraph which is good. On the
> example screenshot, I didn't see it.)
>
> The upload section is large. It seems like that is not useful for most of
> our audience. Maybe only one out of 100 would ever submit anything. Maybe
> the upload should be on a separate webpage.

I'm in two minds on this one.

The project is new and we want to attract as many contributions as
possible but at some point it makes sense to move this off the front page.
(I've always disliked how some Wiki sites are totally in your face about
editing/contributing which makes the site unpleasant to just use).

Is it already time to move it off the front page?
Would a prominant link to a seperate page be enough?  (probably).

> The quick submit if kept on front page should be below any news.
>
> I do like the new design idea. But I also like the current website too.

I am definately warming up to the new logo and as I said I dont mind
the style changes.  I'm inclined to agree with Jonadab that changin the
logo colours from what was submitted just doesn't work as well.

- Alan