[Clipart] new site design in progress

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Sep 8 22:08:10 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 05:43, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > * For the download stuff across the top:
> >   * People are going to try to click on Get ClipArt!, so it ought to
> >     be a link.  I'm unsure whether it should be a link to the package
> >     downloads or the browse.  Whichever it links to should probably
> >     also have a more prominent link to the other option.
> >   * "Downloads" is ambiguous.  I know that it points to the bulk
> >     packages, put a new user won't know that.  "Browse" is much more
> >     obvious what it does.
> >   * I tend to think the order should be reversed:  Browse first and
> >     then Download Packages afterward.
>
> Perhaps this could be combined into something like...
>
>                [Browse __________]    [Get ClipArt Packages]

Would Browse be the search box, or a popup list of categories. I prefer
a popup list of categories, Get Clip Art Packages, and then eventually a
search box like google's.

> ?
>
> > * Regarding Quick Submit:  the submission thingy on the front page as
> >   it currently stands takes up quite a lot of space, more than you
> >   depict there certainly.  I like your design better, among other
> >   reasons because there's some chance the user might actually see that
> >   there are news headlines down below, which currently is very
> >   unlikely unless the user scrolls down.
>
> Reducing the size would be nice, but I definitely think it is worth
> having it there front and center.  It's much more important than the
> news, so if it hides the news items a bit, I think that's a fairly minor
> issue.

What if we make the quick submit mainly just an upload form with just a
browse and then when one hits browse, our script looks up the type of
file and then makes a second stage submission according to the filetype.
For example, if it is a package, then the 2nd stage upload form would
consider. Also, then we could have a second page with much more complete
info. Also, if that file that is being submitted already has complete
info, then why do we need a second page at all??? I think that our
submission process needs to be, or at least appear easy and enticing!!!
And, yes, I think it should be front and center in importance!!!

> > * I assume the list of Contributors is just a sample.  It obviously
> >   doesn't list some of the most prolific contributors.  I like the way
> >   it's layed out, though it should be sorted in some kind of order,
> >   either by number of images contributed or alphabetically.  Later,
>
> Or randomly.  :-) I expect that a few people will be submitting large
> collections (such as icon themes) so if it is sorted by number, then the
> list could get rather monotonous with the same 5 people listed always.
>
> Alphabetically would not be good, because then only people with 'a'
> usernames would be shown.
>
> A random selection would ensure any contributor has an equal chance of
> being shown.
>
> Another idea would be to list most-recent-submitters, which would be
> nice in that it would give immediate acknowledgement to contributors.

I think that is good. I put that there mainly to display and give
representation to submitters. This is something down the line, but
generally a concept for how something like ./ supports users
contributions.

> >   when our metadata stuff is more worked-out and integrated with the
> >   DMS that Bryce is working on, we might be able to make those links
> >   to browse the images submitted by that contributor -- by category.
>
> Yup, definitely.
>
> > * The screenshot doesn't show much of the news items or the footer,
> >   and I'd like to see those.  For the news items, it'd be cool if a
> >   small version of the logo could be used as a bullet for each point.
> >   (There are 16, 32, 48, and 64 pixel versions of it at
> >   http://openclipart.org/openclipart-NNpx.png
> >   where NN is the number of pixels on a side.  I'm not sure which
> >   size would be most appropriate for this, 32 maybe?)
>
> I like that idea.  :-)  Helps pull in and unify the logo with the site
> look and feel.

I agree...will do.